I’m pregnant again and unfortunately been suffering from HG (Hyperemisis Gravidarum) since week 6.. I’m now, 33 weeks pregnant and near the end!!
Initially I lost 7kg. However, with medication I have been feeling slightly better.
Not long ago I really fancied / Craved Mapo Tofu..a Chinese dish.. one thing is to fancy something another is to eat it, when suffering from hg..
But here is the recipe…
Mapo tofu – for 4 portions around 63p a portion. I have tried costing it, but difficult to do accurately due to the fact that I buy the Chinese ingredients in a Chinese supermarket and in big portions xx
150 ml chicken broth (3p value Tesco cubes)
1 teaspoon cornstarch (3p)
2 teaspoons soy sauce (5p)
1 teaspoon sugar (5p)
1 tablespoon sesame oil (10p)
2 medium cloves of garlic, minced (6p)
2 teaspoons minced ginger (5p)
4 green onions white part only, minced (20p)
1/2 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorns (5p)
100 g ground pork or beef (Morison £2.00 for 500) 40p
2 teaspoons doubanjiang (chili bean paste) (10p )
Approximately 340g of silken tofu, drained and cut into 2 cm cubes. (£1.30 from local Chinese shop).
+basic rice 10p
Total £2.52 which is 63p per person..
green part of green onions minced for garnish
1. Add the chicken stock, cornstarch, soy sauce and sugar to a small bowl and stir to combine.
2. Heat a wok or large frying pan until hot. Add the sesame oil, garlic, ginger and green onions and stir-fry with a spatula until fragrant. Add the Sichuan pepper and continue stir-frying.
3. Add the ground pork and use the spatula to break it up into small grains (you don’t want clumps of meat). When the pork is cooked, add the doubanjiang and stir to distribute.
4. Add the tofu, and toss to mix (if you stir it, the tofu will lose its shape).
5. Give the stock mixture a good stir to incorporate anything that may have settled, and then pour it over the pork and tofu. Toss to coat, then boil until the sauce thickens.
6. Garnished with the green parts of the green onions, then serve with hot rice.